IPMI Management Console monitoring plugin
Verax NMS IPMI Management Console plugin enables easy monitoring, alerting, health check, management and performance reporting for hardware supporting Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI), such as Dell, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Ericsson and others (click here for a list of IPMI adopters).
The IPMI Management Console supports devices compliant with IPMI 2.0 standard over UDP.
Hardware information (FRU) view
The view displays all the properties stored in the FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) inventory, such as serial numbers, part numbers, vendor information and others. The list of properties is dependent on the type of managed hardware and its configuration.
Analog sensors view
The view displays analog sensors for the device. These are device dependent and may include temperature, fan speeds, voltage and others. The following information is displayed for each analog sensor:
- Sensor name (e.g. Average Power, Planar Voltage, etc.).
- Status (OK, not OK) specifying if given analog sensor is within acceptable range or not.
- Type of sensor (e.g. fan speed, voltage, temperature, etc.), current value and units (e.g. volts, Celsius, etc.).
- Lower and upper non-critical and critical thresholds.
Analog sensor statuses are visualized in red, green, and yellow for easy problem detection. Verax NMS can create its sensors, performance counters and generate alarms based on any IPMI analog sensors.
Discrete sensors view
The view displays discrete sensors for the device. IPMI analag sensors have associated value and thresholds, while discrete sensors have a value only (acceptable values are defined in the IPMI standard, including information which values indicate abnormal conditions). The following information is displayed for each discrete sensor:
- Sensor name (e.g. Video USB, FrontPanel, IOH Temp Status, etc.).
- Status (OK, not OK) specifying if given sensor has a value which is considered normal or not.
- Type (e.g. EntityPresence, Processor, CableInterconnect, etc.).
- Current value.
Discrete sensor statuses are visualized in red and green for easy problem detection. Verax NMS can create its sensors, performance counters and generate alarms based on any IPMI discrete sensors.
Event log browser
Verax NMS IPMI console allows browsing of the IPMI event log including:
- Date and time of event occurrence.
- Sensor associated with the event (e.g. Power Unit).
- Assertion (e.g. error detected) and de-assertion (e.g. error has been cleared) information.
- Human readable event description.
The events are visualized in red, green, and yellow to distinguish between alarm, warning and informational events.
Chassis control command support
The plugin allows executing the IPMI chassis control commands directly from the NMS console. Supported commands include: Power Up, Power Down and Reset. These commands can be integrated with NMS business rules engine (e.g. reset a server when it does not respond with a ping).
Sensors, counters, alarms and events
IPMI console is fully integrated with Verax NMS core:
- Verax NMS sensors and performance counters can be created based on IPMI analog and discrete sensors (predefined templates are available).
- Alarm thresholds can be configured for IPMI-based counters.
- Verax NMS events can be created based on IPMI system log events and further processed in the NMS event processing engine.