PowerVM monitoring plugin
Verax NMS & APM PowerVM management plugin enables easy monitoring, alerting, health check, management and performance reporting for hardware running IBM PowerVM virtualization, logical partitions (LPARs) and VIOS (Virtual I/O Server).
The plugin uses SSL-encrypted command line interface connecting to IBM HMC (Hardware Management Console).
General CEC information
The plugin enables monitoring and provides a graphical view of HMC-managed CEC (Central Electronics Complex) directly in the Verax NMS & APM, including:
- Software: HMC hostname and system name, operational state, etc.
- Hardware: processors (total, unassigned), memory (total and unassigned), etc.
The plugin enables monitoring and provides a graphical view of PowerVM partitions directly in the Verax NMS & APM, including:
- Name, OS (operating system), OS version and power state (running, not activated, etc.)
- CPU Information: processing mode, compatibility, virtual CPU configuration (minimum, assigned, maximum)
- Processing units: minimum, assigned, maximum, shared pool name, sharing mode, etc.
- LPAR CPU and memory usage
- Memory: mode (e.g. dedicated, shared) minimum, assigned and maximum usage
- IO Devices: assigned partition, DRC name and description
- Virtual Ethernet: slot, virtual switch and MAC address information
VIOS (Virtual I/O Server)
The plugin enables monitoring and provides a graphical view of VIOS (Virtual I/O Server) directly in the Verax NMS & APM including:
- Virtual devices: SVSA, client partition, status, physical device, etc.
- Storage pools: name, size, type, current allocation, etc.
Sensors, counters and alarms
The plugin provides predefined templates for most commonly monitored PowerVM counters such as:
- CPU and RAM (per LPAR)
- Partition healthcheck sensor (monitoring if a LPAR is running and in a healthy state)