Application and network performance audit
Verax Systems provides analytical and audit services in order to ensure that our clients' applications, services and systems are in healthy condition and provide high end-user experience:
The service is designed to help enterprises to optimize end-to-end application and service performance. The analysis allows for root-cause detection of critical performance problems of services involving many diverse, multi-tiered applications. The analyzed components may include (depending on a particular service) operating systems and virtualization, networking, databases and individual applications.
- Rapid and cost-effective root-cause diagnosis of critical performance problems using Verax Systems tools and experience.
- Performance and availability assurance for business-critical IT systems.
- Complete end-to-end analysis.
The analysis is specifically aimed at detecting database performance bottlenecks such as sub-optimal SQL queries, configuration issues, missing indexes and others. Verax Systems has extensive experience in optimizing Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases in enterprise environments. A number of items are examined during the analysis such as:
- Basic metrics such as: availability, query response times, resource usage (e.g. CPU load or a number of concurrent sessions, number of queries and others) and storage usage.
- Deadlocks, excessive job time detection, excessive query time detection and possible system lock-ups.
- Security problems (e.g. unsuccessful logins, insufficient privileges).
- Transaction rates and abnormal resource consumption levels.
- Top queries (i.e. queries consuming most resources).
- Suboptimal queries (e.g. joins that can be improved, by using an index or alteration of the SQL query itself).
- Excessive queries.
- Excessive users.
- Excessive job times.
- Identification of resource consumption by applications and users.
- Get maximum performance and ROI out of existing database infrastructure.
- Detect database performance problems before they affect the business.
- Improve database application users' experience by shortening response times.
- Extend lifetime of database infrastructure.
|Monitoring and management of heterogeneous databases with Verax NMS & APM|
The analysis is aimed at determining user-experience factors of web-based applications with special focus on GUI performance, usability and system response times. The audit covers many aspects of user experience management such as:
- User interface responsiveness (as experienced by the end user) including the actual transaction time (i.e. the amount of time it took to prepare the response after the page click), as well as navigation time (i.e. how much did it take for the user to figure out the next action).
- User workflow schema (e.g. common navigation paths, dead-ends, navigation errors and others).
- HTTP Errors: Page Not Found, Method Not Allowed, scripting engine (e.g. PHP) errors and others.
- Location visiting statistics (e.g. most visited pages, but also the ones that are the most difficult to reach).
- Performance monitoring of elements that make up the system (e.g. RADIUS authentication response times, database top queries and others).
- Infrastructure error detection resulting from operating system, network or virtualization, e.g. refused login due to insufficient database connection pool size.
- Infrastructure performance bottlenecks.
- For IT management: determine correct operation of managed applications: identify bottlenecks, performance problems, sub-optimal SQL queries, etc.
- For business owners: ensure that client satisfaction and usability levels are high. For instance, the most critical factor for successful CRM implementation is the ability of your end-users to effectively execute the business process (e.g. quickly enter client data, proposal information, etc.).
- For application designers: monitor application performance, error frequency and navigation paths so applications are both performant and intuitively designed.
|End-user experience management with Verax NMS & APM|
A comprehensive audit of the entire network infrastructure from switches and routers up to servers and network-enabled services. The objective is to identify network problems such as stray-packets, ill-behaved services, network timeouts, latencies, denied service requests, performance degradations and others.
The benefits of the network audit include:
- Rapid detection of configuration errors, bottlenecks and performance issues.
- Improvement of network performance and availability.
- Increased end-users' experience, productivity and satisfaction.
- Detection situations that may lead to network outages in the future.
- Increased network availability.
Based on analytical capabilities and vast experience with mission-critical systems, Verax Systems can provide guidelines for strategic enterprise applications including:
- System design and selection of technology.
- Sizing, scalability and performance.
- Testing strategy.
- End-user experience management.
An audit takes between two to six weeks depending on its scope. In the first step, Verax Systems' NMS & APM (network management and application performance monitoring) software is installed at customer premises to analyze and collect application and network data. This data is later used by Verax Systems' analysts and an audit report is produced.